Friday, September 05, 2008

Well THAT sucks

So I went to my yearly eye appointment the other day and they had a new opthamologist working. My exam was going along fine as usual and then he got that look on his face. You know that look. It's the one your doctor gives you when something is wrong and he's working out how to tell you without freaking you out. Turns out I have a condition called Corneal Neovascularization. It's a fancy way of saying that I have veins growing down into my cornea. It happened because I used to wear my contacts for waaaaaay too long and didn't change to new lenses often enough. I also didn't clean them properly. He wasn't in a panic about them because he said the damage looked old and all but two of the veins had regressed into ghost veins which means that the condition had improved. The right eye is worse than the left and he told me if I was just anyone he'd take me out of contacts permanently but that he thought he could trust me to be compliant and so he put me on some strict contact lens restrictions. I had to switch to a lens that allowed more oxygen and was wetter because I also have dry eyes. I have to go contact lens free one day a week. I can't wear my lenses for more than 14 hours a day (less is better) . I have to change my lenses every 21 days (instead of 30) and I absolutely have to clean them every night. The good news is if I follow the instructions and be a good girl, the two remaining active veins will regress into ghost veins like the rest and I can continue to wear contacts indefinitely. If I don't, all the veins will fill back up and start growing down until they reach my pupil eventually causing me to go blind. So how was your day?

No comments: