Saturday, December 01, 2007

Alas poor Stone Sweater, I Knit you well

My husband shrunk Noah's Stone Sweater. A moment of silence please.( ). Ok. To play devil's advocate, all the sweater's I've made for the kids thus far have been machine washable. He didn't realize(even though I went ON and ON about how much I loved finally being able to afford to knit a sweater out of 100% Wool) that it would shrink. His rebuttle?, " I didn't put it in the dryer!" I know it's impractical to knit a child a sweater that must be handwashed, but I didn't mind washing it myself. I've included instructions with both sweaters I knit for my niece and nephew on how to handwash the sweater, with a note to just bring it to me for cleaning if my sisters-in-law don't want to go through the hassle themselves. Can't the kids have one or two really nice sweaters?? The worst part is that Noah took great care with that sweater b/c he listened to mommy tell him all about how you don't need to wash wool a lot, unless you get somethink on it, but that you don't want to get it very wet and rub it b/c it will shrink. He really loved that sweater and it broke his heart when he saw what had happened. It now fits the four year old, though it is a bit thicker and fuzzier now thanks to the fulling of the washing machine. The husband has promised to never wash another think I've knit unless he's checked with me first to see that it is ok. (You'd think he'd have learned the first time when he shrunk my merino socks, but we'll see if it sticks this time. ; P )
I've finished the front of Sean's Garter Stitch Aran Pullover and it's looking just fabulous. The back is coasting along nicely and should be finished by tomorrow evening. I'm expecting to be finishing it Saturday next. If I get ahead, I'll cast on for mom's Celtic Tote from Knits Winter 2007 issue. She wants it in purple with black accents so I found the perfect shade of Cascade 220 and a beautiful little silver celtic button to finish it off. Well, it's time to knit so off I go!

No comments: